Report: Motherwell 1 Kilmarnock 2

By Firparkcorner
Last updated : 29 June 2017

What a game. We played our best football of the season fought and ran for every ball and lost out to a jammy deflected goal. Just as well we had gathered six points from the previous two games. Some you win, some you lose.

A strange sight greeted fans at the pre-match warm up. Andy Goram acted as trainer for Stevie Woods and prepared for a seat on the bench. Ben Kemble replaced the suspended Greg Strong and Spencer's return from injury filled the space created by Goodman's absence. Derek Adams also moved to the bench and Twaddle made the starting eleven.

What a start! Three minutes and Ged had a free kick about thirty yards out. The strike flew through the wall and bounced in front of Marshall. His outstretched arms failed to stop the ball and it went in to the net. It was the fifth goal of the season for Captain Brannan.

If the early goal wasn't enough of an inspiration for the team and the fans then a display by Studs in around ten minutes set the tone. He made three crunching 50-50 tackles, won them all and charged up the park into attack. The crowd responded and for the rest of the half we dominated. We were first to the ball, made all the important challenges and passed the ball well.

All that we missed were goals. Townsley had a good header, a shot from Spencer went wide and he almost got on to a good Townsley cross to head in.

Then we gave them a goal! We had a free kick on our own eighteen yard line and Woods ran to take it. As a dozen or so players left the box to trek back to halfway but Stevie saw Corrigan free on the right and tried the quick free kick. He failed to pass it through the ruck of players and it broke to Wright who had the easiest of tasks to roll the ball into the empty net from 20 yards. A schoolboy error - Stevie will not sleep well tonight.

Having dominated the half we found ourselves level at the break. I'll bet Killie could not believe their luck.

We started the second half in bright fashion and had three chances in the first three minutes. Twice Townsley was close in from the right wing and came close. Brannan had a free kick just over.

For the most part we were still on top and the pace of the game hardly let up. Woods had little to do but pulled off a good save after a header from a corner looked like in might sneak in at the post.

The best chance of the half came when Spencer was clear though - he had the option of chipping Marshall but passed square to Lee McCulloch who shot point blank at the goalie and the chance was gone.

But we could not get the goal our play deserved. Then the inevitable fluky, jammy, lucky deflection which saw the points go to Killie. A shot from the left struck Corrigan and Woods was beat - no justice.

Despite a ferocious charge for the last three or four minutes we failed to score.

Several players were outstanding including Townsley who received a standing ovation when he was subbed for Twaddle – let’s hope the crowd continues to support him. One worry was the sight of Spencer limping off a minute into added time - he must be a doubt for the visit to Aberdeen next week.

Team: Woods, Corrigan, McMillan, Kemble, Hammell, Brannan, McCulloch, Townsley (s69 Twaddle), Spencer (s 90 Nicholas), Elliott, Leitch ( s78 Adams)

Subs unused: Goram, Oueifio, Ramsay

Motherwell 1 Kilmarnock 2

Attendance 6,571

18 November 2000

Motherwell Match Reports

Scottish Premiership Sat 14th September 14:00

Hearts 2 - 3 Motherwell

Last game - Match Centre

Trending on the boards