Report: Motherwell 0 Aberdeen 1

By Firparkcorner
Last updated : 30 June 2017

Another late goal costs us dear. After a bad first half and a better second, a draw looked favourite. Then we shot ourselves in the foot (not for the first time) and conceded a winner two minutes from time. Opposition teams are beginning to anticipate our final minute gift!

For the first time in ages Billy was able to field the same eleven in consecutive games.  The only change was on the bench where Elliott made his return after injury to replace Nicholas. A light drizzle started half an hour before kick-off and the ball seemed to gain speed off the wet grass. The floodlights were on from the start on a cold, grey Motherwell afternoon. And the team got to run out to the Star Wars theme - appropriate as once again the Gedi took his place in the sweeping role at the start.

Aberdeen kicked off and attacked the Cooper Stand end.

It was a poor first forty five minutes. Aberdeen had the better of the half. They had several half chances and lots of pressure. We hardly threatened the Dons goal.

Stevie McMillan was in the wars as he was clattered from behind while heading a clearance (the ref gave no foul) and shortly afterwards he was stretchered off after a collision for a 50:50 ball and missed.

The 5-3-2 formation was under pressure with the Dons seeming to control the midfield. Billy brought on Twaddle for Oueifio and changed to 4-4-2 after half an hour. It made little difference and for the last fifteen minutes Aberdeen still had the better of the game.

Andy Goram had a series of poor clearances and frequently kicked the turf in frustration. Billy had some hard talking to do at the break!

The second half saw the 'Well more in control and we had many spells of pressure and a fair number of corners. The 'cavalry charge' jingle got several plays!

Despite this dominance it was The Goalie who had to produce a couple of winders saves to keep us in the match. Elliott replaced Townsley and made a few good runs but his crosses were easily cleared.

John Spencer had our best chance with a shot from close in - it was blocked on the line. And that was that. Few real chances at either end and it looked like 0-0. Ah, but we still had to donate the visitors the usual goal in the last two minutes. A bit of a breakaway, a shot, a rebound and Young slammed home.

The first goal was always going to be the winner and it was. It was hardly the best preparation for next week's cup tie.



Corrigan Strong Brannan Oueifio(S34 Twaddle ) McMillan (S 43 Hammell )

Townsley (S55 Elliott ) Leitch Adams

McCulloch Spencer

Subs unused: Woods Lasley Hammell

Referee M McCurrie

Attendance 6,680

Motherwell 0 Aberdeen 1

10 February 2001

Back to Match Reports

Motherwell Match Reports

Scottish Premiership Sat 14th September 14:00

Hearts 2 - 3 Motherwell

Last game - Match Centre

Trending on the boards