Wigan 1-2 Ipswich- Match Report

Last updated : 22 September 2014
Wigan 1-2 Ipswich: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.Sammon returns to haunt WiganConor Sammon scored the winning goal on his return to Wigan as Ipswich recorded a first-ever victory at the DW Stadium in the Sky Bet Championship.Wigan had gone into the game knowing a third home win on the bounce would have lifted them over Town into 12th place in the standings.But the visitors were very good value for their 2-1 win after putting in a solid shift across the park.Luke Hyam scored the opening goal midway through the first half with a cool finish from 12 yards, and Sammon doubled the Ipswich advantage just after the hour mark from close range.Wigan responded well, with James McClean pulling one back inside the last 10 minutes with a thumping left-foot shot.And the home side almost grabbed an undeserved point at the death when fellow substitute Oriol Riera blasted against a post with Dean Gerken well beaten.After standing up to an early onslaught from Wigan, the visitors gradually took over control of proceedings.Scott Carson needed to make a superb save diving to his right to deny Daryl Murphy, before Sammon headed Tyrone Mings' cross past the post.Ipswich did take the lead on the 20-minute mark when Mings' left-wing cross was slotted home nicely by Hyam.The visitors could have doubled their lead shortly after when David McGoldrick narrowly failed to find Sammon at the far post for a tap-in.Wigan's attempt at a break were thwarted when Callum McManaman was clattered by Christophe Berra on the far touchline for a clear yellow card.But Town were quickly back into their stride and McGoldrick almost got on the end of a good ball in from Murphy.Wigan were trying to get McManaman on to the ball at every opportunity, and the winger's quick feet almost allowed Emmerson Boyce an opening.But that was the end of McManaman's night, as he limped off with a dead leg to be replaced by McClean.Wigan were screaming for a red card against Mings when the defender clipped Shaun Maloney as he raced in on goal, only for the official to brandish yellow.And the visitors were grateful to hear the half-time whistle after Andy Delort's free-kick had been deflected to safety.Carson had to move fast off his line to prevent McGoldrick latching on to a short back pass from James Perch within moments of the restart.And after Adam Forshaw blasted over the top for Wigan, it was nearly 2-0 when Mings crossed for substitute Kevin Bru to aim his first touch over the topBut it was only delaying the inevitable, and Sammon did add a second goal just after the hour mark with an easy finish to the delight of the away fans behind the net.Riera replaced Maloney for Wigan in an attempt to add some firepower up top, but Ipswich continued to keep them at arm's length.Murphy miscontrolled inside the box after getting the wrong side of Boyce, and McGoldrick then ignored Sammon when it looked like the Irishman had an easier angle to the goal, only to slice his own effort wide.Wigan gave themselves a lifeline inside the last 10 minutes when McClean fired home through a crowded penalty area to reduce the deficit to one goal.And after Martyn Waghorn's corner saw Ivan Ramis' header force a good save from Gerken, Riera's stinging shot did beat the goalkeeper only to bounce back off the bar.Wigan's attempts at an unlikely leveller were finally extinguished, though, when Boyce volleyed wide of the target with seconds remaining

Source : PA

Source: PA

Wigan Athletic Match Reports

Trending on the boards