Rangers 2-2 Morton- Match Report

Last updated : 12 December 2015
Martyn Waghorn's goal salvages a point for poor Rangers against MortonMartyn Waghorn rescued a point for ropey Rangers as Morton came close to handing Mark Warburton a first Ibrox defeat.The Ladbrokes Championship leaders grabbed the lead inside a minute thanks to Kenny Miller's early opener.But they failed to build on their advantage and were on the brink of their first home defeat to Ton since March 1972 when a James Tavanier OG and Stefan McCluskey's strike put them behind with seven minutes left.Waghorn, though, saved the day as he responded just a minute later with his 20th goal of the season to seal the 2-2 draw which keeps the Light Blues three points ahead of title rivals Hibernian.There were sombre moments before kick-off as Ibrox stood for a minutes' silence in memory of ex-Gers midfielder Arnold Peralta, killed on Thursday in a shooting in his Honduran home city of La Ceiba.The Light Blues, donning black armbands in tribute to their former colleague, lined-up with Miller up front as the veteran striker came in for Nicky Clark

Morton, meanwhile, were without on-loan Luca Gasparotto as the defender sat out facing his parent club.But it took just 75 seconds for Miller to put a smile on the home supporters' faces

Connor Pepper's foul on Lee Wallace to the left of the Ton box was penalised with a free-kick, which Tavernier planted perfectly onto Miller's head for the former Scotland frontman to nod home.It had been 20 years since the Greenock side's last Govan trip and it appeared Jim Duffy's men were about to suffer the same kind of one-sided defeat which the likes of Paul Gascoigne and Brian Laudrup inflicted on Alan McGraw's side back in 1995.Rangers were controlling possession well and hungrily chased after the ball whenever they lost it

Miller came close again from a Wallace cut-back, as did Rob Kiernan with a header.But a casualness crept into their play as the tempo plummeted.And Gers were punished after 31 minutes as Morton striker Denny Johnstone was allowed to burrow into the box before sending a cross to the back-post

Tavanier should have simply turned it away for a corner but his attempt at cushioning it down for Wes Foderingham went horribly wrong as it flew past the keeper into the net.Bobby Barr should have put Morton ahead just two minutes into the second half after outstripping Kiernan but bundled wide, while Foderingham prevented Johnstone's shot from the edge of the box.Rangers continued to push forward but were too often guilty of overcooking things.And it looked like there was more disappointment heading their way when McCluskey robbed Kiernan outside his box before sweeping the ball past Fotheringham for the visitors' second after 83 minutes.But the lead lasted just a minute as Waghorn fired home the equaliser from close range after Nathan Oduwa sent Wallace to the byline.Jason Holt had the chance to claim all three points with the last kick of the game but blazed over

Source : PA

Source: PA

Rangers Match Reports

Scottish Premiership Sun 11th August 14:00

Rangers 6 - 1 Hibernian

Last game - Match Centre

Trending on the boards