Report: Motherwell 2 St Mirren 0

By Firparkcorner
Last updated : 29 June 2017

The run continues. It’s now only one defeat in eight games as we grab another three points against a poor St Mirren team in the gale under the floodlights at Fir Park.  Goram, Spencer, Goodman and McMillan missing but the makeshift line up did the business.

The line-up showed three changes from Saturday's starting eleven. Stevie Woods replaced Andy Goram in goals and Kevin Twaddle started up front due to Don Goodman's absence. Stuart Elliott filled the space on the left side of midfield left by the injured Stevie McMillan.

We lost the toss and kicked off towards the Cooper Stand aided by a very strong wind laced with a soaking rain. The conditions made it impossible to pass with any accuracy and the game soon settled into a long ball game. The force of the wind particularly at the south west corner through the gap between the South and Main stands was a major factor in the style of play adopted by both teams.

Nevertheless we had the majority of the play but found it hard to get through the packed St Mirren defence. The Buds had a few breakaways which inevitably ended with Tom Brown falling down and remonstrating with the ref. What a whiner!

Scoring chances were few but our best effort came when Twaddle found himself clear in the left edge of the box after thirty five minutes. He worked his way towards the touchline and squared low to Twaddle who, from three yards out, caught the quick ball just right but the keeper made the stop.  It was a good move that deserved the goal.

Half time came and the crowd huddled from the wind and rain hoping for an improvement in the second half.

But none was forthcoming - at least not until the last fifteen minutes. We still looked the better team but it was hard to see where the breakthrough would come.

Come it did though in seventy four minutes. Derek Townsley had the ball in the centre circle and released Twaddle with a great through ball. The winger ran on into the box and fired a shot across the face of the goal and caught the net just inside the post. The break had come at last.

St Mirren made the expected push but apart from two or three crosses and one good diving save Stevie Woods was not troubled.

The fourth official had signalled two added minutes when Stuart Elliott send Townsley on a run down the left wing. Most of the opposition were at the other end of the park when big Derek ambled into their box. He declined the shot and squared the ball to Stephen Nicholas who was unmarked on the penalty spot. He will not have many easier goals to score and he passed into the net. He had been on the park for a minute!

The wind and rain were major influences on the flow of the game but we were still the better team and deserved the points. That's one defeat in eight games now. Bring of big Eck's mob on Sunday.

After the match Billy Davies said that Stevie Woods had deserved his place and that he had talked to The Goalie earlier in the day - so why was Andy not on the bench?

Team: Woods, Corrigan, Kemble, Strong, Hammell, Brannan, Twaddle (Nicholas), Townsley, Leitch, Elliott(Ramsay), McCulloch

Subs (unused) Wood, Connolly Oueifio

Referee Gary Mitchell

Attendance: 5,312

Motherwell 2 St Mirren 0

29 November 2000

Back to Match Reports

Motherwell Match Reports

Scottish Premiership Sat 21st September 14:00

Motherwell 1 - 2 Ross County

Last game - Match Centre

Trending on the boards