I can see that we don’t want to be another Bury with huge debts and losses season after season, but with Carlisle there doesn’t seem to be a middle ground. Failure on the field will also adversely affect finances. One year contracts are not likely to attract talent to Brunton Park!................
From the News and Star, with thanks:
Carlisle United have tabled an offer to a striker as they bid to step up their summer recruitment efforts.
Director of football David Holdsworth confirmed the club are hoping to secure the unnamed frontman in their attempt to further rebuild their squad.
United, who have so far signed three defenders this summer, need additions in a host of positions. Bringing in a genuine goal threat is among the top priorities for boss Steven Pressley, with Carlisle also not giving up hope on a deal for Rotherham’s Jerry Yates.
The latter chase, though, is separate to the striker situation Holdsworth described to the News & Star yesterday.
“I offered a contract to a centre-forward [on Wednesday] night,” he said.
“Steven has established that he’s the type of player that would fit into our set-up.”
He added: “I’m not waiting forever [for an answer], because we did that at Christmas with Jerry Yates and Ashley Nadesan, and it drives you mad.
“I’m putting a time limit on all offers [like this]. We have done a lot of research, and patience is a virtue, but certainly we’re not going to be strung out, waiting and being let down.”
Pressley is also pursuing further defensive options after United were priced out of a move for former Northampton centre-half Ash Taylor.
The 28-year-old, whose contract at the Sixfields Stadium was recently terminated by mutual consent, was earmarked as a possible addition.
But it is believed ex-Tranmere and Aberdeen man Taylor is more likely to join another club who have offered considerably higher wages than the Blues.
Pressley is understood to have since turned his attention to another defensive target, and has been meeting players this week.
On striker Yates, meanwhile, Holdsworth confirmed recent News & Star reports that Carlisle had tabled an offer for the former Blues loanee. Swindon are also believed to be keen on 22-year-old Yates.
Holdsworth said: “I’ve made three bids for Jerry Yates. Rotherham have turned us down. We’re still keen to bring him in, and we’re in constant dialogue with Rotherham.
“Rotherham haven’t made their mind up on what they want to do. Jerry is aware we would like to have him in our front line; I’ve spoken to his agent and we will do everything we can.
“[Again], we can only wait so long. Jerry’s back from his holiday and we are speaking to Rotherham, who are really good people. We are keen to work closely with them and try to secure that.”
Holdsworth added it is important Carlisle do not bow to agents’ demands at this stage in the summer window.
He said the days of United giving in to excessive financial commitments for players were over.
“Options can become bigger and wider because a lot of players think, ‘I’ll wait and wait’, and then they become a bit easier to deal with.
“Right now agents are putting an extra nought on the end, and [for them] it’s a short, sharp shock – goodbye, thank-you.
“Agents right now are outpricing players, and they always do. I’m having to deal with a lot of people who are outpricing their player. But we’re keen to establish that we’re bringing in people for the right reasons.
“We don’t live around the corner, and you’ve got to buy into the fabric of what our club is about.
“That’s changing, it’s changed this summer because of the legacy of the previous manager [but one] in terms of the length of contract he gave and was allowed to give.
“Ultimately that’s not going to happen anymore, whilst we’re a club still in transition, because of the situation we were put in by making ridiculous decisions and giving out contracts that weren’t worthy, and an elaborate pay structure which nearly crippled the club.
“We’re still having to mend, but it’s a lot brighter.”